They say that moving house is one of the most stressful times of your life which is why at The Move Team we have produced a check list for you to help get set up for your move. We aim to reduce that stress for you by doing our utmost on the day to ensure that everything goes smoothly. When you decide to move:
- Appoint a solicitor and find a surveyor for your new home (your estate agent or mortgage company should be able to recommend these). If not look online for recommended companies or even better get a recommendation from a friend.
- There are all sorts of ways to find a property these days: online, through word of mouth or through an estate agent. Should you chose to find a property online, there are numerous websites with property listings. You might also consider trying new commission free sites such as Net Movers where you can contact sellers directly.
- Create a file for documenting all moving papers and receipts.
Two Months before your move Declutter
- Have a clear out - If you have a loft full of stuff that you haven’t used for years do you really need to box it all up and move it to the new house?
- You can consider giving items to charity or to a friend? Another option is to list them on Freecycle (www.freecycle.co.uk)! Or if you are looking to make some money back why not start selling unwanted items on eBay (www.ebay.co.uk) or Gumtree (www.gumtree.co.uk)? You should consider this at least 6 weeks before moving as it takes time to sell things online, so you will want to plan accordingly.
- Another great option is to clear out furniture that you no longer need. Most councils will run a scheme where they will collect your unwanted furniture; a great starting point is the furniture re-use network. The Move Team can always take anything that can't be re-used to your local dump.
Redirect your mail
- Mail – start making a note of the mail that comes through your door. All of those people will need to know your new address. Make a list and write to them all a few weeks before you move. Make sure you save your old household bills clearly stating your account numbers so you are able to move accounts.
- Whilst looking through your bills, it may be a good time to think about saving some money through the numerous price comparison websites to find the best deals on gas, electricity, phones and so on (www.uswitch.com), (www.moneysupermarket.com).
- Another great way to redirect your mail is by using the Royal Mail Service, which for a small fee will redirect all of your mail to your new address (http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/product1?catId=400040&mediaId=600008)
- You can also take opportunity to get yourself removed from the unsolicited mail database by writing to The Mailing Preference Service, DMA House, 70 Margaret Street, London, W1W 8SS or call 0845 703 4599 for an application form.
- If you have young children, start talking to them about the impending move as this can be a traumatic experience for them. Preparing them in advance gives the child plenty of time to prepare for the move.
- Familiarise yourself with the area you are moving to. Get some local newspapers and have a look at online forums. You can also find all sorts of information about your new area on 'up my street' (www.upmystreet.com) which gives you information on everything from schooling to crime figures.
One Month/ few weeks before your move
- Start Packing, although you can start packing as early as you like! Your little mover will be more than happy to help pack and can place unbreakable items into boxes (think pillow, blankets, towels)
- Label what is inside of the boxes and add what room they will be going in. You can also colour code the boxes so it will be easier to unpack. Don't forget to write the name on the side of the box rather than the top so you are able to recognise the boxes whilst they are stacked.
- The Move Team can provide a wide range of packing boxes and materials which we can get couriered to your door ahead of your move. We can also provide a full packing service if you want to save yourself the bother. If you wish to pack yourself, see our article on packing for some useful hints and tips
- If there is a gap between the old owners moving out and you moving in arrange for a cleaner to give your new house a through going over.
- Parking. Do you need a permit? You can organise this through your local council. Just give them a call and get 2 bays reserved for the day.
The day before the move
- Disconnect major appliances. Refrigerator, washer and dryer, etc. should all be disconnected, defrosted, and dried out.
- Finish packing!
- Create a Moving Pack. This should include all your vital documents, Passport, driving license, estate agent details, utility supplier details, Money. Keep this with you at all times.
- First Night. For each member of your household, you’ll want to pack a few nights’ worth of clothes, bedding, toiletries, etc. And dishware for meals. Remember that it will take you some time to UNPACK on the other end!
- Make sure all boxes are properly labeled (I.e. the room they’re going into in your new home).
On the day before
- Walk through your house one last time to make sure everything is accounted for.
- Strip the beds.
- Keep linens in a box that travels with you, so you can use them the first night.
- Make sure you have the keys to your new home or have arranged to collect them
- Record all utility meter readings (gas, electricity, and water).
- Stay until your movers have finished.
- Before leaving check that all windows are secure and water, gas and electricity supplies are switched off.
In your new home
- Make sure you are present when the removal crew arrives so you can guide them to the house confirming what is to be moved and any special instructions.
- Start with the essentials – do you have power, gas and water, telephone and internet.
- You can instruct The Move Team to place your belonging where you want them. That way all you have to do is unpack.
- That’s it – your in. Have a cup of tea. Give your movers a nice tip or pat on the back and enjoy your new home.
We hope that this has helped you plan your next move. for further information visit our contact us page or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will contact within 24 hours. The Move Team - your source for a top quality moving service in London and the UK.